In Elder Law News

Your husband cannot send money to your son. That would be considered a transfer of assets that would disqualify him from receiving Medicaid benefits. However, you may be able to do so. Someone in a nursing home covered by Medicaid must contribute his income to the facility, less certain allowances. He may keep a small amount for personal expenses, $72.80 a month in most states, and may continue to pay health insurance premiums. In addition, he may be allowed to pay a certain amount of his income over to his spouse. The amount depends on her own income and living expenses.

If it turns out that you are entitled to such a spousal income allowance, there are no restrictions on your paying some or all of it over to your husband’s son.

Start typing and press Enter to search